Updated Friday, April 3, 2020
To our Outdoor Adventures members,
We received new guidance regarding the Stay at Home order issued last week surrounding campgrounds. After intense lobbying of Governor Whitmer and State lawmakers, the clarification reads as follows:
Q: May campgrounds remain open for public use under Executive Order 2020-21?
A: In general, no. Recreational camping at campgrounds who rent to individuals who otherwise have a primary residence and are traveling to the campground for non COVID-19 related purposes are not permitted under this order. However, in some limited cases, workers at campgrounds may be critical infrastructure workers to the extent they “provide temporary or permanent housing for shelter for otherwise needy individuals.” For purposes of this order, the term “otherwise needy individual” includes anyone residing in a campground at the time the order was issued or anyone seeking shelter during the current pandemic. They may also remain open to the extent they are used for COVID-19 mitigation and containment efforts and to serve critical infrastructure workers.
This means our resorts will be closing effective immediately through May 1. Here are guidelines for how to proceed:
- If you are currently at one of our resorts and your RV or trailer is not your permanent residence, we ask that you please leave the resort by Sunday, April 5. You must take your camper with you or put it in storage. You cannot leave it on a site.
- If you are a member who was planning to come and camp with us, you must postpone your trip until May 2 or later. We are not accepting any new entrance to the resorts at this time. We are not allowed to have campers on our property for recreational camping. If you had a previous reservation for between now and May 1, it will automatically be canceled. We appreciate you understanding.
In the midst of these difficult times, we do have some positive news for you. We are opening reservations on April 14 so you can look forward to the future and start planning your summer! Reservations will be online only and will go live at 8 a.m. on Tuesday, April 14. You will be able to access the online form on this webpage. Reservation requests will be processed in order received. You will be able to make requests for campsites and rentals for May 2 and beyond. We will send more information on this as we get closer to the date.
Here are some tips to ensure your request will go smoothly:
- You must include your member number on the form. If you don’t, we will have to call you and it may delay your reservation being made.
- Be sure to enter your second resort choice on the form. In the note field, leave us your third resort choice so we can do our best to accommodate your request.
- We may need to call you back to confirm details of your stay. For rentals, we must call you back to confirm details of your stay. Please leave 1-2 phone numbers that we can reach you at and be prepared to answer calls from an unknown number. If we can’t reach you, we cannot hold requests and we will move on to the next request.
- Expect a call or confirmation email. We will experience higher than normal traffic so please be patient and understanding as we work through new processes and get our operations back up and running.
- Please be aware that the person whose name the reservation is in has to be the person who checks in and is there for the entire stay.
- Due to the popularity of holiday weekends, for any reservations that include a holiday weekend, such as Memorial weekend, the last weekend in June, and the first weekend in July, the only people who can have a reservation are primary members, meaning the person who bought the membership. Family member and guest reservations may be made the Friday of the holiday weekend based on availability.
- If you have questions about this process, please be sure to email us at email@example.com before April 14 as our priority will be to process reservations first.
Finally, if you know of anyone who might not receive this message because they do not have access to the Internet or a computer, please help us pass the word along about the process and if there is a way you can assist them.
IMPORTANT DATES UPDATE
As information has changed numerous times and there are new processes in place, we want to outline the important dates for you. Please keep in mind the COVID-19 situation continues to change rapidly and these dates are all subject to change at any time.
- Anyone who otherwise has a primary residence and is staying with us for non COVID-19 related purposes must leave the resort by this date
- Reservation requests open online only at 8 a.m.
- Grand Haven, Rifle River, Wilderness and Lake of the North Resorts open. Lake Shore, Saginaw Bay, Kalamazoo and Mt. Pleasant re-open.
- Rentals and on-site amenities open (The Lake Shore Davison pool open date will be announced separately as the final inspection was put on hold due to the stay at home order)
- Planned activities resume
- Cancellation fees will no longer be automatically waived; normal policy resumes
- Winter storage campers must be pulled off their sites by this date
Everyone is having to make unprecedented decisions at this time, but through it all, we remain committed to doing what is best for the health and safety of our members, staff and communities. We appreciate your continued support and understanding. We will get through this together and then we can gear up for what I imagine will be the happiest and busiest summers yet!
Stay safe and be well,
Jason King, CEO