Often when you think of camping you think of the summertime sun, bike riding through trees of green, swimming to escape the heat, and collecting those priceless memories with the ones you love. For many, camping is a summertime tradition! But, have you ever considered winter camping?
You can escape your winter blues for the peace and calm of nature during its coldest season. Winter is the unsung hero of seasons in Michigan, but it offers so many cool experiences. Watch the snowfall around you in the warmth of your camper or cabin, lounge in an indoor pool or hot tub. Or get active and snowmobile through the Snowbelt of Michigan, snowshoe, ski, whatever you desire. There is plenty to do to continue making memories with the ones you love.
Camping doesn’t have to stop once the leaves blow away and the snow begins to fall! If you’ve been avoiding winter camping, you’ve been missing out on a great option to still get away from the stress of everyday life.
Here are a few tips for camping in the winter:
- Set up as quickly as possible in the morning so your tent or camper can capture as much sunlight and warmth as possible.
- To avoid freezing while you’re enjoying the outdoors, eat a hearty breakfast and dinner to keep your energy up and your body warm. Warm beverages are also a slice of heaven in the cold!
- Wool is the best fabric to keep you warm, so choose wool as your base layer underneath wind and water-resistant layers. Wool is especially best on your feet!
- Lastly, if you just can’t warm up, our Resorts offer adult lounges, clubhouses, game rooms, activity centers, indoor pools and more so you can get a reprieve from the outside temperatures.
Winter camping at Outdoor Adventures Resorts
At Outdoor Adventures, our family of resorts offers winter camping at our year-round resorts: Lake Shore Resort in Davison, Saginaw Bay Resort in Standish, Benjamin’s Beaver Creek Resort in Gaylord, Mt. Pleasant Resort, and Kalamazoo Resort. Each Resort has its own set of great amenities to help you escape in the cold winter months. Cozy cabin rentals, the leisure of indoor pools and hot tubs, the adventure of snowmobiling and so much more! We even offer the option to store your camper on one site for the entire winter so that you don’t have to worry about hauling it through the snow every trip!
Winter camping activities nearby
There are plenty of other winter activities to enjoy outside of our Resorts, located just minutes away.
- Winter disc golf – Check out local parks and get your throw on!
- Cross-country skiing – Michigan is known for its 3,000 miles of peaceful sights and sounds. It’s the perfect way to “glide” through the winter, whether you prefer to ski alone or with friends. Check out more information on Pure Michigan’s website.
- Ice fishing – You can ice fish at our Saginaw Bay Resort or if you prefer, you can drive just a few minutes outside of the Resort to get to the Saginaw Bay.
- Lantern lit snowshoe trails – Google this for the upcoming schedule and locations in Michigan.
- Fat tire biking – No matter where you’re going, chances are good that there is a local bike shop offering rentals. There are a lot of nearby trails to explore, such as the Bass River Multi-Use Trail located near Grand Haven or the Holly-Holdridge Mountain Bike Trail Network just 30 minutes southwest of Lake Shore resort in Davison.
- Snow Snake Ski & Golf is just 20 minutes from our Mt. Pleasant Resort where you can ski, snowboard, tube, snowshoe, go on a zip line and more!
Don’t let the cold deter you from enjoying your favorite pastime of camping. Let our Resorts be your place of escape beyond just the summertime months!
Call us now at 888-249-1995 to plan your winter camping trip!